I am looking for original artwork for my upcoming book Hekate: Goddess of Witches will be released in 2021 by Weiser Books, with an international distribution. These pieces should depict Hekate as the artist understands Her.
Hekate is a goddess of ghosts, crossroads, thresholds, the cosmos, birth and death. She is often symbolized by keys, flaming torches, dogs, gateways, and often appears in triplicate.
Open to artists of all genders, age, and experience. POC and/or Queer and/or disabled artists strongly encouraged.
What I’d love to see:
- Bodily, age, and/or racial diversity (I’d love to not have a whole book of skinny, young, white Hekates. Show me a fat Hekate! A crone Hekates! A POC Hekate!)
- Hekate in a form she’s not typically seen. I can’t publish a book with only images of Hekate at the crossroads or graveyard, so would love some of her among the stars, with children, etc.
- Strange or surprising interpretations!
How it will be used:
- This work is non-exclusive—you will retain the rights to your work and can publish/distribute elsewhere. It’s fine if it’s been published before, but would prefer it not be in any Hekate books published in the last five years.
- For an example of how I’ve used others’ artwork in the past, please see this sample chapter from my Morrigan book. Image is on page one, after cover and intro.
- The image will be in black and white. You can submit in color, but please be aware it will only be published in black and white.
- Artist name and title will be listed beneath each image.
What you’ll get:
- $50 for each image used, paid upon receipt of final image and signed release form.
- Credit in the book, along with a link to your other works.
- One complimentary copy of book.
To submit for consideration:
- Please email image or link to image to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a link to your website, blog, or social media site no later than November 15. I will get back to you by December 1!